Old 07-10-2010, 11:55 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Fairy Ring

simonrepro wrote:
Hi

I have been getting very large mushrooms/toadstools growing in our
lawn, they grow to about 8 inches and then kind of melt on the top by
turning black and all black resin drips off of them. I can see that
where they are coming up they are trying to form a fairy ring.

Any ideas on how I get rid of these please?

not easily.

it's a fungus eating something, it will go away
when it has nothing left under there to feed upon.

if you really want to do this, how much do you
want to spend?

you can pour antifungals on the soil and it might
knock it back, but it will eventually come back.

if you dig up the stump/root/whatever and remove
it and replace the soil that would be the most effective
long term method, but that will take some effort and
time.

i'd leave it alone, it's a good sign that nature is
doing what it needs to do with what it's got.

google "fairy ring removal" and read all you want...

songbird