Old 09-10-2010, 01:23 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Heavy machinery has damaged my lawn.

Graeme wrote:
Hi,

The nature strip in front of my home was recently damaged by some
heavy machinery making it very difficult to mow. There are several
depressions in the earth which I have to mow around. Grass doesn't
seem to want to grow in the gaps. My neighbour suggested planting
some runners but I think this will take too long or be ineffective.
What is the best way to level out the earth? Should I just buy a new
load of soil to fill in the gaps? Would it be better to buy some new
grass, make an attempt at leveling the soil and relaying sections of
the nature strip?

Thanks for your advice,

Graeme.

Have you asked the person who wrecked it to fix it?

The treatment depends on how big the damage is. The soil has been compacted
where the machinery went and displaced to the side. Loosen the soil with a
garden fork in and next to the damage and then rake it back to an even
surface. This will make it smoother so you can mow and allow the grass to
spread in that area as it will continue to grow poorly in compacted soil.
Maybe some extra soil from elsewhere in the garden or a few bags purchased
will make it easier to level.

Depending on how wide the scar is you can just wait for the grass to grow
back (many roots and bits will still be alive and it will also spread in
from the edges) or overseed or plant runners from elsewhere. Water and feed
it. This is a good time of year for growing grass so it should repair quite
quickly.

Re-laying the whole lot or buying a load of soil seems excessive to me
unless the whole area is completely destroyed.

David