Old 11-10-2010, 04:11 PM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
Having just bought a pack of 'grease bands' made by Bayer for £7.09, I can't help thinking 'they saw me coming'.
Yes. Much better value just to buy a tin of the gunge itself, and apply it to the tree direct. Also I find it easier to apply the gunge than put the grease bands on. Whaterver they say, in reality you have to fix them on with string or the like.

In the past I have applied the grease in the summer to stop ants going up the tree. But actually the most beneficial use of it is applied about now to stop codling moths going up the tree, where they will eventually become a worm hole in your fruit. Having put the stuff on last autumn, we had practically worm-free apples this year.

Only trouble with the gunk is if you have a small child.