Old 16-10-2010, 05:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Bloke Down The Pub Bloke Down The Pub is offline

Default Purple Peaches - Peche de vigne

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:

BTW, we've never had problems growing peaches ina c old climate - it
gets to as low as -10C here and the peaches never seem to show any
ill effects.

I was just reading a book from th UK on growing fruit trees and grapes.
Under stone fruit it has; plums, gages, damsons and cherries. No mention
of peaches or apricots. Is this just an oddity or or such rare in Ol
Blighty?

David

It appears that peaches blossom early and are susceptible to frost damage
and then have a problem with leaf curl due to rain, this tells all
http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_...er_2_peach.asp
although we had a peach tree growing just fine in out backyard, I am
guessing from what I have read this is the exception rather than the rule.

Mike