Old 20-04-2003, 07:14 AM
Ghazanfar Ghori

Default Keeping red plants red

A sign of Nitrate deficincy is that plants turn red. When your
nitrate level drops - the plants turn redder. Some aquarists keep
their nitrates very low to get the reds. Its fine if you're adding
nitrates
and letting them drop to get reds, but trying to keep them red by
eliminating nitrates from your fert regiment will harm the plants and
may bring about an algae bloom.

"Ross Vandegrift" wrote in message
Hello everyone,

In my 20 gallon I've got some really nice looking Sunset Hygro
that grows in a brilliant red. I also have a bit of Bacopa planted near
it. As the nutrients in the tank get lower (in the week or so between
water changes), the youngest leaves of the Bacopa turn a very nice red.
It matches the hygro wonderfully.

I fertilize during weekly water changes - half of a single dose
of Kent FW Plant supplement and half of a single dose of Flourish Trace.
Within a few hours the red in the Bacopa has faded completely back to
green.

First, why does this happen like this? I've heard of nutrient
deficiency causing red plants to turn green, but not vice versa.
Second, any way to keep the Bacopa more on the red side?

--
Ross Vandegrift

A Pope has a Water Cannon. It is a Water

Cannon.
He fires Holy-Water from it. It is a Holy-Water

Cannon.
He Blesses it. It is a Holy Holy-Water

Cannon.
He Blesses the Hell out of it. It is a Wholly Holy Holy-Water

Cannon.
He has it pierced. It is a Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water

Cannon.
He makes it official. It is a Canon Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water

Cannon.
Batman and Robin arrive. He shoots

them.