Old 17-10-2010, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Craven Craven is offline

Default could anyone tell me what's wrong with this plant please?

On 2010-10-08 18:24:36 +0100, Craven said:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5086948...n/photostream/

I've had it for 3 years and it's always looked magnificent. This year
it looks very sick.

I haven't repotted it or, I'd assume, overwatered it. The only thing I
can think of is I sprayed it with insecticide earlier this year as it
was being eaten alive by caterpillars.

Any help appreciated!

Craven.

I doubt you've done anything wrong. It's something Skimmias just do
sometimes. The leaves go pale and wan and the plant just gives up. In
different gardens I've seen it happen a few times. However, as yours is
in a pot you might to make sure vine weevil hasn't got at it. If it was
in direct sunlight it might also go into a sulk.

Jake, Sacha, thanks for your replies. I'll give it some tlc and repot in
the spring.

As I'm gardening on a terrace it's not really a complete ecosystem and
insects tend to run amoc.

Craven.