Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
M Walczak

Default DIY Yeast method materials...

Im sorry for not understanding, but what is a bung Im curious?
"Alan Silver"
wrote in
message
In article , Jason
writes
Yes but I am looking for a blow valve as a precaution against the
possibility of the airstone getting clogged and causing my 2 liter
bottle to explode

If you are using a standard plastic soda/lemonade bottle, then I
wouldn't worry. They are designed to a) withstand far greater pressures
than your DIY CO2 set up can produce and b) allow excess gas to seep
through, preventing explosions.

Think about it, the gas produce by even mildly shaking a new lemonade
bottle is way more than any DIY CO2 set up can manage.

(I have seen pictures and read postings on this happening.)

Have you actually seen any confirmed reports of this happening ? In all
my years of using these newsgroups (about six or seven I think), I don't
remember ever seeing an actual confirmed report of explosion. I've seen
a few scare stories, plenty of hypothesis and so on, but no confirmed
reports.

And if they were any, it would almost certainly be due to a poor set up.
As mentioned above, a plastic bottle shouldn't gve any cause for worry.

Finally, my DIY CO2 set up has a plastic bung in the bottle. This can be
removed fairly easily (which is how I renew the mixture). If the
pressure were to build up in there, the bung would pop out long before
we got anywhere near an explosion. Again, a small amount of common sense
removes all fears from the scaremongers.

HTH

--
Alan Silver
Please remove the "furryferret" if replying by e-mail