Old 27-10-2010, 05:46 AM posted to aus.gardens
John Savage John Savage is offline

Default the lure of Coca Cola .....

gardenlen writes:
had this recipe out now for about 6 weeks, can't see that there are
any fruit fly in them as yet plenty of other sorts offlies and ants.
will empty them soon through a strainer to be sure.

I shall have a stern word with Vasili, in that case. Have you got
any lures baited with your own recipe, for comparison?

Week before last's ABC gardening program showed the use of cloth
bags around individual fruit, to protect from fruit flies (also
from birds, possums, and sunburn). It resembled that waterproof
material that you can get as an inner cover for pillows, and which
comes as a wrapping for some electronics goods. A finely woven
cloth, nothing like plastic, and too strong to tear. He used it
for his figs. (Once they reached a good size, I guess, so that
they had already been pollinated.)