Old 20-04-2003, 06:15 AM
LeighMo

Default Aggressive SAEs?

they all told me "We rarely have them available because they are so
aggressive." Is this right? Everything I've every read suggested they were
rather peaceful creatures. What's your experience?

They are probably confusing them with false Siamensis, or flying foxes, both of
which can be pretty mean as they get older. It's rare to find a LFS that knows
real SAEs from false ones.

I've had only minor problems with aggressiveness in true SAEs. If there are
only two in the tank, one can bully the other. No actual damage, but the
subordinate fish spends a lot of time hiding, and might have trouble getting at
the food.

The solution to this is easy: have at least three SAEs in the tank. If you
keep a small group rather than a pair, there's no bullying.

Leigh