Old 20-04-2003, 06:15 AM
Bruce Geist

Default yet more lighting questions

I think Clown Loaches are one of the most fun freshwater fish to keep.

Leigh mentioned how smart they are.. mine actually beg for food in the
mornings before I go to work. They hear my foot steps and come to the front
glass to give me the guilts until they are fed. Just after they are fed,
they will lounge in front of some drift wood, laying on their sides against
one another, relaxing. I really enjoy my clowns.

And, by the way, I similarly added two small loaches (~3/4 of an inch) to
two four-inchers. My experience was just like Leigh's; i.e., it takes a few
weeks, but eventually small and large clowns all play together.
Unfortunately, one of the of the small ones did not make it, but the other
three are vigorous and healthy.
-Bruce Geist
Haywire wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
OH so Cool!

Hehe, 2 Sumatran's and 1 Borneo!!! I never noticed the black on the

borneo's
finage before!!! and one of my sumatrans has a saddle strap!

Can you tell I bought mine from multiple vendors to get my 3, I went
through about 20. sad state of affairs with the quality of these beauties.

"Kate Quirk" wrote in message
Sorry to hear about your loach. Its terrible to lose one, but at least

it
wasn't long and drawn out.

The clown loaches that show up in the aquarium trade apparently come

mostly
from borneo or sumatra. The ones I have (and most of the ones I've seen
here in Australia) are from sumatra - they have slightly more brightly
coloured fins than the borneo ones. Loaches on line have an article on

how
to tell where your loach hails from

http://www.loaches.com/markings.shtml

Kate

"Haywire" wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
sigh, buried one of mine in the porcelain funeral home this morning,

12
hrs
of being sick and that was it. Oh well still have 3.

what's a sumatran clown anyway?

"Kate Quirk" wrote in message
I got all three of them in January. The biggest one, Caesar, is

probably
about 7 cm long, and Pompey and Crassus are about 6cm long - they've

each
grown about a centimetre in length in the time I've had them, but

have
gotten a great deal fatter and "taller". They've always tended to

be
shy.
Pompey and Crassus play a lot together - possibly trying to work out

who
is
second in charge, while Caesar does the "lone loach in the mist"

thing
bit. I am keen to get some more little ones (can't afford big ones,

plus
like to watch my fish grow), but I'm a bit worried they might suffer

as
the
pecking order is re-assessed. How are loaches with accepting new

(and
smaller) companions?

Kate

"LeighMo" wrote in message
Sounds like you have a great tank for clown loaches. It might

help
get
few more of them.

How big are they, and how long have you had them? My loaches took
months
come out when I moved them to a larger tank. IME, the larger the
loaches
are,
the shyer they are. The little ones are fearless, but the older

they
get,
the
more cautious they become.