Old 19-11-2010, 12:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Nice find.

"rbel" wrote ...

Bob Hobden wrote:

Repotting my Pleione orchids today, bit early but a friend in France
wants some and he's on his way back on Saturday, and to my surprise and
delight I found some self seeded Dactylorhiza in one large pan. Now
repotted in the existing old compost in their own pot. Will be
interesting to see what the flowers are like as they are again probably a
cross between the two species we have, D fuchsii and D maculata. The ones
I found years ago seeded in an old lily pot are superb, bigger than both
species.

It really is a marvelous feeling when you discover something like that.
We were lucky to find D fuchsii and Anacamptis pyramidalis in neglected
parts of our garden a few years ago which encouraged us to turn an area
(part lawn, part old shrub bed) into a wildflower bed. Both have thrived
in their new locations and this year we discovered D fuchsii growing in
the centre of a clump of carex growing in the pond margin.

As I have replied to Rod, ours are grown as bog plants, pond marginals, so
your D fuchsii is now growing in it's preferred damp spot. If you have some
flower spikes with seed try shaking them around the pond margins.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden