Old 26-11-2010, 07:49 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Chook experts?

FarmI wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Are pure bred Australorps 100% black or is it possible to have a
little red-brown on the front of the neck?

Australorps are pure black (including the flesh of the legs which is
one good indicator of the true breeding).

the legs are black

If there is any degree of 'colour' in the feathers it is not what
I'd call a true colour but more of a sheen if/when caught in the
light. All of my Australorps have only ever had this sheen in the
blue/green specturm (never any reddisheness at all). If viewed in
shade, a true Australorp will be all black feathers.

It isn't the iridescent shine from light interference patterns in the
feathers it's a true colour

I've just had a look at the breed standards and no red. You can
read them he
http://www.australorps.com/4.html

BTDT I wasn't so much interested in whether I have show quality
chooks but what their lineage might be, if they are pure bred but
not show birds or some crossbreed..

Regardless... those standards are still useful. They confirm to you
that your birds aren't pure breds.

They confirm my birds are not up to standard. Are you saying there are no
pure bred birds that don't meet the standard?

I've just bought 4 more Australorps and am busy building them a new
night house after I got the irrits with the last one and demolished
it. Once this one is done their current one will get removed too -
after 30+ years of keeping chooks I've finally decided that I am
sick to death of substandard chook housing and I finally want Rolls
Royce housing for my fancy.

Mine isn't RR but maybe BMW. It's a secondhand garden shed with
secondhand tennis court wire around it. I figure any fox or wild
dog that can eat through that I don't want to face unarmed.

Barter and sons at Luddenham are a reasonable source I've found -
good service, moderate price and seem to produce a true to type
domestic bird: http://www.barterandsons.com.au/

Any red feathers suggests to me a hybrid with RIR or Isa brown
genes, but it could be a from a grandparent rather than a parent.

Looks to me that they are 3/4 or maybe 7/8. Good looking birds
nevertheless, friendly and resourceful.

And so long as they lay some eggs, that's all that's required in a
domestic chook. Although I know I'd still keep chooks even if they
didn't lay.

I am looking for what is described as a utility bird. Meat and eggs and
easy to raise, so some outside blood is no big deal. These girls will live
out their days (they have names already for bog's sake) but their sons
won't.