Old 29-11-2010, 10:46 AM posted to aus.gardens
John Savage John Savage is offline

Default Bronze Oroage bug; sprays?

terryc writes:
Can anyone suggest an alternative spray(s) to Confidor for bronze orange
bug?

I find it very satisfying to pick them off with a pair of long-nose
pliers. Drop into a pail then crush underfoot for the ants to recycle.
Wear eye protection. I wait until the bug is side on to me so I can grip
it from the side so the inevitable squirt of acid gets ejected away from
me. Any bugs that are out of reach today will have moved around and most
likely be within capture range on the morrow. Just be patient and you'll
eventually get them all.

You could cautiously *try* a stronger version of my aphid recipe. For
aphids, just metho + water in the ratio 1 : 2. It works without harming
even the tender tips of roses and citrus. Just like spraying with rum,
only cheaper. :-) The aphids die instantly, and you can hose the plant
5 mins later if concerned of ill effects--but I've seen none.

For the citrus bug, maybe experiment with 1:1 ratio, or even neat metho.
Try on just one part of a branch initially, and see whether the bugs drop
off and keel over. Wait a day or two to make sure the foliage is not
affected. I've never tried it stronger than 1:1 so can't say whether
a brief spray of neat metho will be harmful. I'd use a spray bottle and
target individual bugs and avoid flowers and the tender tips.

If it doesn't kill em, throw in a match after you've sprayed. ;-)

I had rhubarb growing under the lemon tree, and the bug's acid squirt
killed holes in the rhubarb. So I suggest if you're going to pinch the
bugs with pliers, hose the tree down once you're through, to wash off the
acid.

Confidor is the only spray Don Burke mentions.