Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Bruce Geist

Default 150 planted tank..Need help with selecting hardware

I will have to rely on others who have used MH lighting to help you out.

Sorry Bryan, I don't know. -Bruce Geist
Bryan Casalegno wrote in message
Thanks Bruce.
I found some drift wood localy, and have scraped the idea of of the
substrate heather.
Is it true that 150 watt MH tar ballast can run 175 watt bulbs?
I just got a pair of very nice lights. But need 50 more watts just to be
safe.
I read some where on the net that all i have to do is change the base out
and I could run 175 watters?
True of false?

Bryan

"Bruce Geist" wrote in message
I know little about MH lighting; I know it has very good penetration. I
think you could certainly all CFs if you wanted-- even if your tank is

27
inches deep. That is only a couple of inches deeper than mine, and I

have
used CF lighting to good effect. MH might be better though-- I'll leave
this question to the lighting gurus.

As for heating cable, I can only tell you that in my 135 gallon, I

installed
a heating cable. It worked for a couple of weeks, and then quit. Of

course
it was under waranty, but I did not want to break down the tank do get

it
out for return. Frankly, it was a pain anyway, because it was hard to

keep
the tank temp down during the summer with all the lighting I had. I

have
survived quite well without it, and am still irritated about how quickly

the
darn thing gave out on me. I say, don't waste your money. IMHO, I have

had
a good looking tank going now for a couple of years, all without benefit

of
cable heating. Use a qaulity substrate (flourite) and you will be fine.
(Now, my cable is beginning to surface because it has been "uprooted" as

have replated. Its a pain to try to keep burried.)

I got my drift wood and lava rock from a lfs. Where I am, Petsmart has

lot of that kind of stuff, and it is usually pretty well priced. (Drift

wood
probably needs to be evaluated piece by piece according to your needs

and
preferences, so on-line ordering may not be ideal for this

purchase.) -Bruce
Geist

Bryan Casalegno wrote in message
I'm looking for some guidance as to the best set up solution for a 150
gallon tank.That is very deep
18w X 27H X 72L...
I want mostly plants, but fish also....
I plan on 2 150w MH and two 96w PC ...ya or na
I also am thinking of the substrate coil heater....?
any thing else.
also where is the best place to buy large amounts of
plants
drift wood

what kind of filter.
canister/wetdry?

Bryan
I'm switching back from salt to fresh....
thanks in advance for all your help!