Old 02-12-2010, 05:08 AM posted to aus.gardens
John Savage John Savage is offline

Default Bronze Oroage bug; sprays?

terryc writes:
John Savage wrote:
I find it very satisfying to pick them off with a pair of long-nose
pliers.

I fully understand the attraction of this method {:-), but not after 50
bugs.

They are easy to pick off; do it over two days. But after picking off every
last bug, it's annoying to then find, next day, that more black adult bugs
have flown in from a neighbouring infestation.

I reckon you could try a pyritherum-based fly spray to target individual
bugs, then hose the tree all over to wash off the spray to eliminate any
chance it will be absorbed. Test on a small branch before going all out.

You do need to control the bronze orange bugs or you'll lose much of your
crop. When they sting the embryonic fruit it spoils and falls off, and with
fruit near maturity the bug's sting creates a brown dry spot inside the
fruit. (You probably already know that; perhaps others don't.)