Old 01-12-2010, 09:15 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default should I pull up my onions

"Andy" wrote in message
I have about 60 red onions in the ground with many of the tops now fallen
over but still green. We have had a lot of rain this week so should I pull
up the onions to stop them rotting? They are in a raised bed about 20cm
high and are sitting on top of the soil with just the roots in the ground.

Thanks
Andy

well you could start pulling any that are rounded out & clearly look ready -
otherwise wait & see if the tops start yellowing. sometimes they won't round
until the last minute & indeed sometimes they don't at all, for that matter.

unless it's ridiculously wet, they shouldn't rot (unlike my strawberries,
grr). but from a seasonal perspective, they should be ready now or pretty
soon.
kylie