Old 31-10-2010, 12:16 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
W. Dale[_3_] W. Dale[_3_] is offline

Default Time to winterize

On Oct 2, 7:51 pm, ~ jan wrote:
Time to start the process here. Starts with pulling the taro plants from
the pond and putting them in a plastic tent with a no pest strip.... thou

gh
I'm half tempted to cut all them down.... I may have to give this some mo

re
thought, as I try to simplify all pond chores.

How do others bring their tropicals in yet keep the bugs out? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds:www.jjspond.us

I bring my inside and add a little bit of Dawn or whatever dish soap
is under the sink, to the water from time to time. This keeps the
aphids at bay. Sometimes I will just make up some suds and bursh them
on the leaves that start showing signs of buggers. Be sure to get the
underside of the leaves.
Also this winter, I am going to experiment with adding just a bit of
fertilizer from time to time to keep the plants strong and well fed.
I usually do not start getting aphids and bugs until middle of the
fall when the plants start to get weak. At least that was the case
this year (2010).

I will let you know how they are doing as the fall progress and winter
sets in.

W. Dale