Old 11-12-2010, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
aquachimp aquachimp is offline

Default White Lies - where do we get all these cancers, allergies etc? pt1

On Dec 9, 10:22*pm, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:
URG only.

aquachimp wrote:
On Dec 7, 5:55 pm, Derek Turner wrote:
On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 02:26:04 -0800, Dutch wrote:
"VolksVegan" spewed snip

Be gone spammer

Well, having KF'd the moron I wouldn't have seen anything had you
not fed the troll.

I have to admit not reading *all that stuff, actually, none of it
really;

that said, there's an interesting article within a very recent New
Scientist edition. It's just a very small snippet about how lack of
biodiversity and increased illnesses have been link. Not a conclusive
report, but it seems that weeds are probably the harbingers of disease
because they have evolved to grow to reproductive maturity in a very
short time.. at the cost of investing in greater immunity.
Mind you, I thought they might be included in biodiversity; Darn it, I
all confused now.

Well, you've confused me, too! But "weeds" /are/ included in
biodiversity: wild plants are essential links in the ecological chain,
and I didn't think anybody doubted it. I don't think wild plants have
sacrificed much immunity to pests and diseases, have they? They
certainly seem a lot less vulnerable than most cultivars; but of course
that must be because they don't usually grow in large monocultures in
places they might not have chosen, perhaps as much as because of
constitutional factors and greater variety within a population...and of
course the pests and diseases are part of biodiversity.

How much effect that could have on mammalian immune systems, I've no
idea. Have you got the NS ref handy?

--
Mike.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...tems-sick.html

page 6 of Dec. 4th '10, right hand side, but heading is different "
Weeds of disease."