Old 20-04-2003, 07:16 AM
LeighMo

Default Lighting? Help a newbie?

Would the overkill hurt anything?

It can cause intense algae headaches. If you don't inject CO2, it can cause
daily pH swings that are severe enough to harm the fish.

If I only used one bulb at 55W - which is 1.98w per gallon, with DIY co2,
would that be a better solution?

You could grow just about anything you wanted with this setup. The growth
would not be as fast as it would with more light, but that's not a bad thing.
Less maintenance!

AH Supply is very well-regarded. And if you build your own, you can design it
so that you can add more light, later.

As for lighting...the sun is much more intense than any manmade light, so the
brightness of the light shouldn't be a problem. However, the heat generated
can be. My tank gets very warm in the summer. So much so that I ended up
buying an air conditioner and a power fan for the room the tank is in.

Leigh