Old 20-04-2003, 07:16 AM
Eric Schreiber

Default bunch plants act like trash collectors

(SlimFlem) wrote:

Does anyone agree that bunch plants can act as a natural mechanical
filter. I have 3 bunches of a typical bunch plant in my 75G and they
collect a lot of "crap". Whenever the Clown Loaches or Brochis go
tearing through them, lots of crap is released in the water. This
causes my water to have a lot of "crap" in it that does not all get
filtered out quickly. Thoughts?

I agree, though 'filter' makes it sound more useful than it really is.
'Trap' might be a better word. I've taken up periodically lightly
brushing or bumping my plants with a stick to knock lose any debris
that they've trapped. I catch the larger pieces (dead leaves, mostly)
with a net, and leave the rest for the real filters.

--
www.ericschreiber.com