Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Jason

Default DIY CO2 Instructions?

I use a 1gal wine jug (glass) for my DIY method... Basically you can buy a
cheap jug of wine for about $6, get a stopper at Ace hardware for about
$1.70, tubing for about $2, and the DIY recipe ingrediants. (about $4 which
will last a year or more) I also bought a Tetrafin check valve since I have
my bottle in the tank stand (these cost about $2) (this prevents resverse
siphoning).

Anyway, the options are really limitless, but here is the recipe for DIY
co2:

for a 2 litre bottle concoction:
6 cups water
2 cups sugar
1 tspn yeast (NOT the quick rise stuff, but either bakers or brewers yeast)

for a 1 gal container:
~12 cups of water (fill until a little over 3/4 full)
4 cups sugar
2 tspn yeast. (again, NOT the quick rise crap)

These concoctions should last about 2 weeks per batch. If you use this in a
60 gal aquarium (mine is 63gal), MAKE SURE you have a co2 test kit handy...
I found out after a couple of weeks that my co2 levels were in excess of
50ppm which is toxic for fish...

-Jason

"dpots" wrote in message
om...
I am setting up a new 60g plant tank and want to try to us CO2. Is a
DIY set up appropriate for this size aquarium. If so, what type of
DIY set up do you recommend (recipe, bottles, tubing, ...). My LFS
sells the Nutrafin CO2 system for $30 and I was considering purchasing
it just for the diffuser and tubing? Good or bad idea?

Leigh, if you read this message, I think your posts are very
informative and your web page link is great-THANKS!

Thanks, dpots