Old 24-01-2011, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Hi im new :-) and fairly new to gardening :-S

On 2011-01-23 17:36:16 +0000, "Bill Grey"

On 2011-01-22 12:25:01 +0000, floydie-pink
said:

We have moved house last september and have a faily dececnt sized
front
and back garden snip

This is a British centred gardening group so we may not be able to help
you in any sensible fashion. Where you have a 'yard', we have
gardens.
I hope this helps you to find a group that might be of more use to you.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

I believe people had "yards" before "patios", buying a "yard brush"
gives a
hint. Do you buy patio brushes these days - you know the big ones with
the
stiff bristles.

Bill

We have those large headed brooms here, if that's what you mean, Bill.
To me a patio is a paved terrace. I thought a 'yard' was where you had
e.g. the outside lav, the clothes line, the coal shed or log store etc.
It was paved or concrete so that feet didn't get wet going to do the
essentials!! Now - shall we get to helping this poor OP (I do hope that's
pc enough) with his or her questions? S/He must think s/he's wandered
into a madhouse!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

You are right of course, but my point was , we had yards before patios and
the name carried on.
A back yard, susally shortened to "the back" is what we had when I was a
kid, and of course no patio.

Bill

My parents had an hotel and the 'back yard' was the bit outside the kitchen
door between two parts of the hotel, later built over to enlarge the
kitchen.

The back garden was concreted over for car and coach parking.

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive