Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Jim Miller

Default DIY CO2 Instructions?

i've currently got a 46oz bottle which i use 1.5 cups sugar and a half
teaspoon of yeast and a pinch of baking soda in. i don't worry much about
the proportions since it always runs for a bit less than two weeks and i
just change it when i do my bi-weekly water changes. i'm sure if i cared to
i could optimize this but it just isn't worth it to me.

i used to check my co2 levels daily until i decided they don't go too high
and they just dwindle away when the bubble rate gets too low.

i run my co2 directly into the intake of my system3 which is really simple.
i was fiddling around with diffusers and had settled on the Rena 2" when i
discovered that the System3 impeller did a sufficient job with nothing
additional in the tank. the rena was definitely better however. i tried
limewood diffusers and a variety of "airstones" but the rena was by far the
best. it produced a pretty mist of bubbles; very nice. now that i've got a
different plant arrangement in the tank i may actually go back to using it.
if you decide to use the rena make sure to trim the little rubber gasket lip
at the top since it tends to collect some of the mist into larger bubbles.

my system 3 is three gallons. i suspect that you'll want a better diffusion
mechanism as well as a 64oz or multiple 64oz bottles if you don't have a
efficient diffuser. the one sold by aquatbotanic looks to be a great way to
go for a larger tank such as yours. i'd stagger the start times for your
bottles and change them every other week.

good luck

jtm

--
Remove NOSPAM for email replies
"SlimFlem" wrote in message
"use the minimum necessary to start co2 production at a comfortable level."

Jim, what is your minimum level mixture and what size tank do you have? How
many bottles do you use at once to give a comfortable level? How often are
you checking PH?

Thanks,