Old 27-01-2011, 12:19 PM
RRichardD RRichardD is offline
Registered User

Location: Perth, Western Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG1[_3_] View Post
Just read the destroyer of Oz agriculture aka AQIS has approved the importation of Chinese apples. A not so quiet word in the ears of your local federal member might be a good idea.
The greatest danger from this imported waste is the introduction of D Suzuki and other exotic pests into Australia. The effect would be devastating on the stone fruit and apple industry here (much like the mess caused by D Suzuki in the U.S. when it was introduced into their cherry and stone fruit crops recently).

Our current labor government has extraordinarily weak policies and ministers who made agriculture a low priority. The former Ag minister Tony Burke and other labor trade ministers allowed themselves to be strong armed by China with threats of trade retaliation if they didn't allow this Chinese fruit into Australia. The best labor could come up with was a scheme that involves making the Chinese exporter jump through hoops to try to get the apples into this country.

Currently Coles and Woolworths/Safeway, our two major retailers with around 70% retail market share, are refusing to stock these Chinese apples (IGA is unofficially staying away from this fruit). A few people are out hunting down the retailers who are trying to sell the stuff. So far the big markets and many minor retailers are staying away from the Chinese fruit. It's just not worth a retailers time to stock something that nobody will buy and that taints the reputation of the store. My guess is that the bulk of the fruit has gone into manufacturing. I expect that the products produced from this fruit will eventually be identified and suitably boycotted.

ps: a radio station over in Sydney did an informal test. 5 out of 7 identified the Chinese fruit by taste. 1 spat the sample out....