Thread: Chinese apples
View Single Post
  #21   Report Post  
Old 30-01-2011, 04:38 AM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenlen[_2_] View Post

we are likely to have so few farmers
left in our country that it won't matter.

LEN'S HOMEPAGE
People here are getting really annoyed with the food labeling bs and the tactics of Coles and Woolworths (like the loss-leader trick with homebrand milk).

I can see food and farm support being an election issue next time around. What makes my blood boil is the manufacturers here like Heinz, National Foods, Kraft etc are dead set against any kind of labeling that empowers consumer choice.

Here's what National Foods has to say.
"We believe strong brands can play a positive role in helping consumers make educated choices about the food and beverage products they consume."

What the hell does a product brand name have to do with where the product is made, where the components come from, and if it's safe to eat. I'm always going to preference an Australian product made with Australian grown ingredients but these companies deliberately try to take that choice away from me.

Anyways enough ranting.

The Chinese apples are gone. They didn't sell and apparently all ended up discounted at Paddy's Market in Sydney. The next opportunity for the Chinese to send their waste is around November. Maybe they will take the hint from the Australian marketplace and not bother.