Old 03-02-2011, 09:45 AM posted to aus.gardens
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Chinese apples

RRichardD wrote
gardenlen[_2_ wrote

we are likely to have so few farmers left in our country that it won't matter.

Not a chance.

People here are getting really annoyed with the food labeling bs and the tactics
of Coles and Woolworths (like the loss-leader trick with homebrand milk).

Not enough to matter.

I can see food and farm support being an election issue next time around.

Not a chance when labor may well be flushed down the tubes in the election.

What makes my blood boil is the manufacturers here like
Heinz, National Foods, Kraft etc are dead set against any
kind of labeling that empowers consumer choice.

They are completely irrelevant, they get no say on the labelling laws.

Here's what National Foods has to say.

"We believe strong brands can play a positive role in helping consumers make
educated choices about the food and beverage products they consume."

Usual utterly mindless bullshit.

What the hell does a product brand name have to do with where the
product is made, where the components come from, and if it's safe to
eat. I'm always going to preference an Australian product made with
Australian grown ingredients but these companies deliberately try to
take that choice away from me.

Nope, they are completely irrelevant, they get no say on the labelling laws.

Anyways enough ranting.

The Chinese apples are gone. They didn't sell and apparently all ended
up discounted at Paddy's Market in Sydney. The next opportunity for
the Chinese to send their waste is around November. Maybe they will
take the hint from the Australian marketplace and not bother.