Old 05-02-2011, 03:32 AM posted to aus.gardens
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Chinese apples

gardenlen wrote:

g'day rod,

yes our gov' have not a lot of say under the rules of the world gov'

Yes, but that allows us to force other signatory to accept out exports too.

the qld banana issue was after disease caused by greedy banana farmers up
north who bought planting material in under the radar much like the citrus issue
out emerald way again farmers of non aussie origin bought in grafting material
under the radar and decimated the citrus industry out that way.

Yep.

now all citrus has to be tested before it can be sold a
cost borne by all growers then passed onto the public.

And with the much older fruit fly problem too.

still can't see why bananas from other states can't come
into qld if a couple farms get affected by cyclones, also
there is no history of disease spreading from the backyard
clump of lady finger bananas into commercial crops often
far removed from the backyard.

Yes, but they dont need to go that route, they can just use whats been flattened.

gardeners were never allowed to grow cavendish

Only in Qld.

as they were a commercila crop and prone to bunchy top, again one
could argue about how an afected plant in a brisbane garden could cause
any issue to bananas farms further up the coast?? control for controls sake.

Yeah, real overkill.

so after cyclone larry which did not decimate all of qld's
banana crops, NZ was buying banana's for under $2 a
kilo when they were on teh shelf for anywhere up to $14
a kilo' here in qld.

I never paid anything like that and bought some yesterday for $2 too.

the shops mad a killing telling shoppers the higher prices would
help the farmers?? help teh stupidmarkets botttom line is all.

Dunno, its not too clear what the growest were getting.

I make lemon and lime marmalade, usually a year's supply at a time,
and so it makes sense to buy the limes when they are cheap, the
price can vary dramatically from $3 to $15 in Woolys. I'd like to see
that growers are getting but cant find any listing of that online.

The best you get form the sydney markets is a percentage increase/decrease.

if agrdeners want bananas in their garden they now have to or are
supposed to buy certified plants, more cost. all because of what some
banana farmer did, no doubt they will bring some control onto citrus,
eithe ban them in gardens or make gardeners get their fruit tested.

The most the locals are doing is offering free tree removal
and a free replacement seedling. Thats for fruit fly tho.

We've always been a quantine are for half a century or more.

maybe they'll bring the border gate back between qld and
the south just like they used to have back in the 50's or so.

Ours are voluntary, no one mans them. presumably many ignore that.

on Thu, 3 Feb 2011 20:51:00 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

snipped