Thread: Bamboo Borders
View Single Post
  #3   Report Post  
Old 07-02-2011, 04:50 PM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
There's not really such a thing as planting mature bamboo, it rarely matures fully if contained in a portable container - a containerised 3m plant is probably going to be 5m after a few years in the ground. Also if you do buy it in a 100-litre container, it tends to cost an arm and a leg, so buying 8 such containers would be cost an extraordinary amount of money, hey, but maybe you are rich. More normal strategies without such large amounts of money involve waiting for the plant to mature over a few years to generate full screening effect, as with other kinds of hedge.

Before we can answer your question (1) What is your location/climate/soil (2) what is the aspect of the side of the wall you are putting the bamboo on (3) many nice bamboos are invasive - maybe the road is an adequate containment in that direction - but what about in the other direction and sideways - what is there?
Hi. Thanks for your reply.
I am in South West London.
My garden is south facing.
Not sure of soil type.
They will stretch from path to next border, and the borders they will be in are about a meter and a half wide, so not worried about the spreading, as I will keep them under control.
They will not be kept in containers, they will be put in the ground.
Also, any ideas regarding the creepers?