Old 08-02-2011, 09:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Gz Gz is offline

Default Indoor plant lights

On Feb 8, 3:05*pm, Gz wrote:
I was looking round for plant lamps. Ended up buying a Phillips plant
and aquarium T8 tube.
Been reading, but no really good info. I'm not growing a big crop,
just seeds. I'm
just trying to keep them warm right now. Got heat and halogen lamps.
There are various CFL's and
I have a few dozen myself, of different colors. I know you need UV of
some sort.
In the past I have used black lights, not for plants. there are at
least two types of Black Lights or BL.
One type is filtered, blue tube. The other looks like a regular
florescent and when its on looks dim unless
it fluoresces something. I know these have a good UV output since when
I used them, would bleach out colors
pretty good on objects close by, but is not the hazardous germicidal
types. The only thing I know will work is
metal halide arc. Maybe some automobile arc lamps ??

Anybody know more ??

In years past, growing pepper seeds and stuff, just put them in
upstairs windows. Basement
is rather cool right now, and the seeds are not really working well.
Is there any problem
of seed being frozen through the mail ???

greg