Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
zeek

Default Leaving off hte lights

Some of the cures for algae are to leave the lights off, but what effect
does this have on the plants? at present my lights are on for about 13hrs

day?

Since plant growth takes place when the lights are OFF I find that
leaving them off a day (or two) once a month or so can stimulate
growth spurts. The plants collect and store energy during the day, and
use it during the night.

I 'discovered' this on my own while battling greenwater several years
ago. I went off on a buisness trip for several days, leaving the
lights off and the sides of the tank wrapped in opaque trash bags.
Upon my return the plants had grown considerably!
Of course you don't want them to use *all* their stored energy,
because it weakens them and you may begin to experience negative
results.

zeek