Old 11-02-2011, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

Default Does anyone have any edible fig tree cuttings to spare?

wrote in message
Not Sure wrote:
I have been reading up on fig tree propagation and I would love to give
it a go, but I need some cuttings to do this. I am in South West London
and am happy to come and collect if not too far from there.

I have a fig tree (brown turkey) which is meant to produce edible figs,
but
hasn't so far. It did /try/ last year, though.

If someone can instruct me on how/when is best to take a cutting, I am
more
than happy to post you one (or I can bring as far as W12 or central London
on Monday). I can't make any promises about performance, though.

The best time to take a fig cutting is probably in the autumn. Take hardwood
cuttings from a well ripened shoot of the current year's growth.
Alternatively, a root cutting will work, and so will a rooted sucker. If you
can't wait until autumn, cut off a vigorous shoot in summer, and root it in
a glass of water. Experts say that the hardwood cuttings prosper better than
the water rooted variety, but I've got a water rooted one growing in my
garden, so it isn't impossible.