Old 12-02-2011, 08:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Gunner[_3_] Gunner[_3_] is offline

Default Indoor plant lights

I got 200 watts of light in mine. *But it is essentially a worthless piece
of equipment. * Everything needs transplanted elsewhere or growth gets
stunted. Everything eventually will get rot anyways. *$30 electric bill a
month for $2.00 worth of plants. And its a bitch getting the roots out of
the thing.

Dog....Check your facts and ensure we are talking apples to apples.
You maybe have 200 W equivalent from your A/G lights, a common
marketing ploy for CFLs. The A/G models use 1, 2 or 3 flat CFL
lights…. But they are all the same light. This is their propaganda
and their cost projections:

http://www.aerogrow.com/faqs/aerogarden-cost.php
&
http://www.aerogrow.com/community/in.../177-faqs.html

and as I said, you can do the math to figure your cost, 60 watts
running 18/6 is not going to cost much as was pointed out. I’ve been
doing CEA since 89 and have a 400w HID I run that is half of your
monthly cost claim and its on 18/6.

Again, do not get caught up with trying to equating the watts with
the energy a plant needs at any one particuliar time. Lots of
variables in the equation. Just know, it is the amount of energy( EV,
FC,or Lms) that the plant receives that is important. IMO, unless
you are really tricky and can manage your setup and plants well ,
200ws of reading light is not going to flower your Strawberries, Toms
or your grass as it sounds like you have found out.

So despite their attempts to hide priority information so you have to
buy from them, I have found other source bulbs for what the A/G use,
google for a 2 pin, flat CFLs, rated @ between 21-27w ea and ~1500
lumen. See if that is your bulb. Please feel free to fact check.

Yes,I agree the A/G is essentially a worthless piece of equipment.
IMO the A/G is a toy DWC or a baby bubbler, if you prefer. It can be
build better and for a fraction of the cost.