Old 14-02-2011, 07:54 PM posted to rec.arts.bonsai
Allen[_2_] Allen[_2_] is offline

Default Bonsai Oak Trees

To the Group:

I have 5 oak trees (red oak, not totally sure) I started from seed and
they are more than 4 years old. When they were less than 3 months old
I trimmed the tap root and this is all I have done. Presently they
range in height; 8" to 14" inches and with the exception of one, they
all are simply straight trunks and are presently budding (leaves are
probably and inch long) with 3 and 4 leaves at the top of the trunk.
One, however, has two branches, it looks exactly like a Y with budding
leaves on each of the branches of the Y and they are about 1/2" in
size. They are currently (Feb 14th - Maryland) kept indoors, in the
summer I keep them outside. I believe they need to be pruned but I
can't seem to find clear instruction in terms of how and when
exactly. Any suggestions would be appreciated and of course, I assume
responsibility for any outcome per anyone's suggestion(s). The 5 of
them appear very healthy at this time. Help!