Old 16-02-2011, 11:31 AM
GrowGuru GrowGuru is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
It doesn't need any encouragement, it will grow fast enough without you helping it. I don't recommend leyland cypress (because that is what you have bought, albeit in a yellow cultivar) as hedging plant, because if it isn't maintained it becomes a problem. If you do miss a pruning, you may not be able to cut it back to the size you want, because if you cut it back beyond the living fronds, it doesn't reshoot, and becomes unsightly. You can't put the trimmings on your compost heap. The ground around it becomes bare earth as nothing will grow near it. And it smells horrible too. At least the yellow one isn't quite as rampant as the green one...
I have bought them and they will be delivered on Friday!
Once they are planted, when should they be pruned?
Should I leave them to their own devices, and give them a trim with a hedgetrimmer every so often?
Also, why can the trimmings not go to compost?
Thanks