Old 23-02-2011, 05:25 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Kai Chan Kai Chan is offline

Default Soggy Grass

On Feb 17, 7:33*am, boomer356
wrote:
Hi All,

I'm new and after some advice. I have a small shady yard and last year
in Oct I sowed some grass. Tha advice was not to cut it? It grew well to
my surprise but over the winter the snow and rain have flattened it to a
soggy mulch *what should i do to revitalise it or is it too late?
Thank you.

--
boomer356

Your best bet would be to do nothing at the moment. From what you
described it sounds like the ground is still very wet from the snow/
rain. Wait for your yard to dry out until you are certain you can pass
a mower (riding or pushing) over it without it sinking into the lawn.
No need to get stuck! Since your lawn is shady you're going to have a
higher amount of moisture than a lawn that is exposed to full sun, so
you are probably going to have a "wet" lawn on more than one occasion
throughout the year. Once it dries out trim your grass. You may have
to do multiple passes if the grass is quite high. Keeping the grass
trimmed regularly might help reduce moisture; it will give the grass
"room to breathe" instead of letting it get tangled and matted. I hope
this helps you. Good luck!