Old 20-04-2003, 07:17 AM
Bob Alston

Default New CO2 bottle

My first fill of my 5 lb tank was done via the "freeze the tank first
method". Done by a beer outlet that dealt with kegs. The guy said it
was necessary to get much of a fill. But he could only get about 2
pounds into the tank - and only charged me for that.

A second place, that sells medical gasses, told me they did not fill 5
lb co2 and that it is hard to get it full.

I finally went to a fire extinguisher place. I talked to a guy who
fills fire extinguisher and had been doing for about 18 years. He
told me those other guys just didn't have the right equipment. He
filled mine by weight - close to 5 lbs. He also showed me how he
tests the cylinders and how often they need to be tested. He checked
the mfg date imprinted on mine and put a tag on showing when it was
last tested (= mfg date as I recall). I think they have to be
retested very 5 years or so. He also put the proper chemical warning
tag on the cylinder so there would be no confusion in a fire or car
accident when I was transporting the cylinder.

Also, he was very happy to fill MY brand new steel tank - no need for
an exchange. I had had a small leak with my hookup so he reseated my
regulator, told me no need to use teflon tape and why. Gave me (or
charged $1 or $2) for an adaptor to attach a new needle valve I had
purchased (after trying the Home Depo Cheapo without good results).

When he asked what I used it for, I found out he raised fancy goldfish
and has done so for years.

I will ONLY go back there for gas or help.

Bob