Old 27-02-2011, 01:27 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
[email protected] jernewman88@yahoo.com is offline

Default Lawn on clay...help

On Feb 26, 4:32*am, Seanl wrote:
I know there are lots of posts about lawns on clay soils but I'm still
not sure what is the best thing to do in my particular situation. Most
of our grass is on clay very poorly draining soil - we've never had
particularly good grass. We are in the middle of having some building
work done which has necessitated having a mini digger on the grass to
dig drainage trenches (sewerage) and now there is no grass left.. its
all churned up. The builder will level it and seed it but personally I
don't think that will be very successful because it is so waterlogged.
What would be the best thing to do?... remove a layer of the clayey
soil, replace with topsoil/ sand?... should I be putting in land
drainage?.. The site really is very wet. We are in Cornwall near to
Truro if anyone can recommend anyone who could do the work that might be
required that would be great.

Thanks.

Sean

--
Seanl

Hmmm I don't know much about it, but just make sure you use the right
grass seed. My brother just seeded his lawn two times but used the
type that doesn't come back the following year...