Old 26-02-2003, 01:39 AM
Tim B

Default power tiller: to get or not to get one

Love my TroyBilt rear tine Pony. Once I got to 30 x 60 feet it really made
it worthwhile. I figured if you rent a tiller each spring and fall to work
the soil, it pays for itself to buy one. They are great for working up the
soil. If you are a straight-rows type of gardener, a tiller works great for
cultivating. I lay the garden out according to the tine width plus a bit.

There are lots of people who like the little spinny weed-wacker-engine type.
That's fine if it works. You should try whatever you might buy (borrow one
or rent one) to see if you like it.

I wouldn't associate getting a tiller with moving away from simple things,
the local Amish use them.

"pgh" wrote in message

I know this is subjective, but just to get a feeling for things,
could the experienced gardeners among you tell me how large should
your garden be in order to justify buying a powered tiller.

I have a bias toward simple things, but I figure at some point
doing things by hand is just too much.

Please, shower me with your opinions!