Old 26-02-2003, 02:03 AM
Steven Kolak

Default Anyone recommend Craftsman 6.5HP lawnmower (37836)

Tim,

Thanks for the advice. In my opinion, too, the John Deere, Honda, and
Toro are exceptional brands and better than Craftsman, but you pay for
that in $$$, too, as you said. My one friend is going on year 15 with
his Toro.

I actually have had 5+ years good luck so far with a Craftsman 6hp
self-propelled at my mother's house, and another friend has gotten
many years out of his as well. Once in a while they require a few
strong pulls to start, but I am willing to throw the dice, per say.

You are right, I probably won't follow your advice grin!!, but
thanks for spending time giving it to me. If the mower fails in 1-10
years, I will know who told me so!

Steve

"Tim Fischer" wrote in message t.net...
You'll probably ignore my advice grin but PLEASE stay away from Crapsman.
Do a newsgroup search on Craftsman Mowers and see what you come up with for
advice.

I had a self-propelled Crapsman walk-behind that lasted 2 1/2 seasons before
the transmission failed. Cost new: $350. Cost for PARTS (not labor) to
fix: $299. I junked it and bought a Honda Harmony, for $650. Money VERY
well spent. I also now have a John Deere lawn tractor since we moved to a
bigger property.

So, if you like replacing your mower every 2-4 years, by all means by the
Sears. If you want something that will last, spend a little more and get a
Honda, John Deere, or Toro. It will last you a dozen years or more.

-Tim