Old 07-03-2011, 06:34 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Frank Frank is offline

Default Questions

On 3/7/2011 10:25 AM, Bob F wrote:
Bob-tx wrote:
I'm not familiar with Indiana, or don't know (You didn't mention)
what kind of grass.
But, a few rules apply all over.

1. NEVER use a weed& feed product. The weed part is a herbicide
pre-emergent. If one uses a pre-emergent, it needs to be applied
before weeds emerge. I suggest to not use a pre-emergent, unless
something like corn gluten.
In addition, the herbicide can damage or even kill shrubs& bushes.

I've never seen a weed& feed with pre-emergent weed killer. The ones around
here are broadleaf weed killer that kill the broadleaf leaves and associated
plants they fall on.

Pre-emergent is normally for crab grass and around here is applied late
March - April 1, about time forsythia blooms or before.

I'll use weed and feed in the fall if weeds have taken over, other wise
spot weeding or spraying. I like to over seed a few weeks after.