Old 10-03-2011, 08:50 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default new to lawns

On Mar 8, 3:16*am, SVN wrote:
'Bob-tx[_2_ Wrote:

;914375']"SVN" wrote in message
...-

Hi,
We moved into our house in Oxford last year and initally put some
seeds
down just by hand. After the winter it's looking very worse for wear
and
there are lots of patches. I wonder if anyone can tell me what the
best
thing to do now would be and when? I've been looking at maybe getting
seed spreader to help with the job, but not sure if this is right or
which one to get??
thanks so much in advance for any advice!-
-
--
SVN-

Although you didn't say what kind of grass, generally, grass will spread
cover, and you probably don't need to do much except fertilize about
the
first of May. *Also, if available, spread compost over your lawn.
Good for grass and soil.

Good luck, Bob-tx

Great, thank you both! So you don't think I need a seed spreader to deal
with the patches?
thanks!

--
SVN- Hide quoted text -

Only certain types of grass will "spread to cover". For example of
the cool season
grasses, bluegrass will spread via rhizomes, while tall fescue is a
clump type grass.
And even with grasses that will spread, most take a long time to
spread. If they
spread to fill in bares spots effectivelyh, stores wouldn't be selling
all that seed. What will
quickly fill in those bare spots is weeds and they will remain a
continual problem until
grass is established. If the bare spots are 6 or eight inches in size
then they
could fill in. If they are 2 ore 3 feet across, better reseed in
Spring.

I would never just broadcast seed around and hope for it to grow.
You should
be able to rent a slit seeder, which is a gass powered machine that
cuts grooves
into the soil about 1/4" deep and drops seeds as it goes. That gives
you
excellent seed/soil contact for good germination. You can buy $50 of
grass
seed and throw it around, getting maybe 20% germination, then have to
do it all
over as you are doing now. Or you can rent
a seeder for $75 and get 80% germination. You do the math and factor
in
starter fertilizer, your time, etc.