Old 17-03-2011, 09:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Les Hazlewood Les Hazlewood is offline

Default Yew Tree Toxicity Question

I'm posting this in the hope that someone is able to answer a question
about using water that is contaminated with berries and possibly leaves
from a Yew tree.

The shed on my allotment is underneath the branches of a Yew tree which
lies on the boundary of the allotment site. Since the autumn I've been
saving run-off water from the shed roof to use on my vegetables.
However, quite a few berries (and possibly a few leaves) from the Yew
tree have been washed into the water tank. I realise now that I should
have anticipated this, and strained the water before it went into the
tank - but after-sight is wonderful thing !!!

I've read that Yew leaves are toxic and poisonous to many animals. Also
that the red "avril" part of the berry is not toxic, but the seed inside
the "avril" is extremely poisonous.

Its early in the growing season, and I haven't used any of this water
yet, but is it safe to do so, ie:

a) Is is safe to eat vegetables that have been watered using this
contaminated water ?

b) Will the leaves / seeds continue to contaminate the soil, or will the
toxins in them break down ?

c) Does it make any difference if I strain the water before using it ?

I realise these might be quite difficult questions to answer, but I've
got a "winter's worth" of saved water that I'd really like to try make
use if rather than throw way.

Many thanks in anticipation ...

Les Hazlewood