Old 17-03-2011, 11:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default Yew Tree Toxicity Question

Les Hazlewood said:

I'm posting this in the hope that someone is able to answer a question
about using water that is contaminated with berries and possibly leaves
from a Yew tree.

snip

Its early in the growing season, and I haven't used any of this water
yet, but is it safe to do so, ie:

a) Is is safe to eat vegetables that have been watered using this
contaminated water ?

I really can't imagine that they wouldn't be safe to eat. (Washing them
with clean water before eating is probably something you already do,
I assume.)

Relax! There's far more risk just in travelling to your allotment. Even the
manure you might use in your garden has more potential to harm you.

b) Will the leaves / seeds continue to contaminate the soil, or will the
toxins in them break down ?

Certainly the toxins break down. I've never heard of any yew-created
dead zones. Have you?

c) Does it make any difference if I strain the water before using it ?

If it makes you feel better, certainly, by all means.

I'm not usually this testy, but, I have to say, if this is something you have
time to worry about, you are a lucky man.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." --Largo Potter, Valkyria Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored