Old 21-03-2011, 07:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Feeding an orchid

K Barrett wrote:

Sounds like you've been doing very well with your Phalaenopsis, Bob.
You can use just about any plant fertilizer for the orchid. Just use
it at half strength. On Friday water like you usually do, then about
an hour later water again with the half strength fertilizer. Yes
you'll have to change your habits a little, but that shouldn't be too
troublesome. In fact its better if you have a bit more time between
the watering and the feeding, so lets say you water it at lunch or
when you first get in the office, then feed over lunchtime or before
your leave the office for the weekend. The point is to have the
plant's roots somewhat moist so they'll take up the fertilizer and not
burn. You'll see conflicting information on the internet about this
method too, but its really pretty standard advice.

Your Phal can flower for months, so don't give up on it. The spike
may send out a side shoot and reflower, too. Pretty cool.

As for the hard water once you add fertilizer to the water the acidity
changes so the plant can take up some of the Calcium thats now
available from the hard water. It comes back into solution.

If the orchid bug bites you then worry about proper N levels. Proper
N levels can depend of the medium you use. For your Phal's situation
you don't have to go so crazy, LOL!

K Barrett

Thanks, I was beginning to think this was a dead group.

This morning several of the blooms were wilted, one had fallen off,
and the new leaf grew quite a bit over the weekend. So I probably
need to start watering a little more often since the plant is growing.
I'll mix up a jug of weak Miracle Gro tonight and start feeding it
after I water it. (I'd use fish emulsion, but the smell might not go
over too well at the office ;-)

-Bob