Old 24-03-2011, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mentalguy2k8[_2_] Mentalguy2k8[_2_] is offline

Default Anyone ever bought a "name your own rose" thing?

On 2011-03-24 16:25:57 +0000, "Mentalguy2k8"
said:

Wondering if these deals where you get to name a rose and have the bush
delivered are any good?

A friend has had a tough time and has always talked about having a rose
bush, so we thought it was a decent "personalised" gift. How do we go
about seeing if the name we want is already registered? Anyone have any
experience of these things? Any advice or anecdotes much appreciated,
thanks.

I've never done it but would just suggest that you take every care over
what kind of rose it is, how healthy, good 'doer' etc. I may be being
very unfair but this does strike me as a possible way of selling off rose
'seedlings' that have amounted to nothing much!

Hmm, I hadn't thought of that.

And is there already a rose with your friend's name?

Yes there is (Brandy), unfortunately it seems to be a US variety and
impossible to get hold of over here (although we can get "Cherry Brandy")
but we were going to call it a variation on that name so that it would be
unique. But I'm assuming that all the existing "name your own" ones are only
listed somewhere that I can't see. Most of the sites I've seen have a form
where you fill out your details and the required name, and they "will get
back to you" regarding availability of the name.