Old 20-04-2003, 07:20 AM
B.

Default Algae Water Bloom!?!

Once again...another algae water bloom. It seems to happen twice a month.
Its weird because it comes and then one day the tank will be clear like
nothing was every there.

My 55 gallon tank has been setup for abouth 6 months. It has various
amounts of plants (slow and fst growers). The substrate has flourite and
laterite coverd by an inch of gravel. I inject CO2 through a pressurized
system. As a reactor I pump the CO2 through a powerhead (currently looking
for a more efficient way). I only run filters at night and my total wattage
of light is 160 watt of florescent. My lights are on at 160 watts 8 hoursof
the day and 80 watts 1.5 hours doing the start and finish of the photo
period. I fertilize my plants twice a week with seachums comperhensive plant
supplements and once a week with leaf zone. I also do water changes once a
week of about 15%. My alage crew consist of 1 CAE, 5 SAE's, 6 Octs.

This type of algae is my only biggest problem. All other algae is pretty
much controlled but these blooms seem to happen to often. I was wondering
if any one knoew of a way to get rid of these blooms (besides complete
darkness, it always seems to be a real pain on my stem plants). I have even
gone as far as adding duckweed (Should I have done that..probaly not) to my
tank to help. If anyone has any clue to why this is happening or any
webstites that talk of this please let me know. I just wanna see my plants
and fish again. Thank You.