Old 20-04-2003, 07:20 AM
Dave M. Picklyk

Default Algae Water Bloom!?!

My 48 gallon tank had some serious bloom a few months back. After checking
everything, phosphate levels blah blah...I nearly went insane finally
figured out that it was sunlight coming in from the one end of the tank.
After reducing the time that the lights were on from 14 hours to 12 hours
and blocking the one sunlit side off with a piece of black panel, used a
water clearer chemical and put fine floss in the filter to get out the dead
suspended algae and it it went away. If you don't have sunlight coming in
then that's no help to you then

Dave.

"B." wrote in message
Once again...another algae water bloom. It seems to happen twice a month.
Its weird because it comes and then one day the tank will be clear like
nothing was every there.

My 55 gallon tank has been setup for abouth 6 months. It has various
amounts of plants (slow and fst growers). The substrate has flourite and
laterite coverd by an inch of gravel. I inject CO2 through a pressurized
system. As a reactor I pump the CO2 through a powerhead (currently

looking
for a more efficient way). I only run filters at night and my total

wattage
of light is 160 watt of florescent. My lights are on at 160 watts 8

hoursof
the day and 80 watts 1.5 hours doing the start and finish of the photo
period. I fertilize my plants twice a week with seachums comperhensive

plant
supplements and once a week with leaf zone. I also do water changes once

week of about 15%. My alage crew consist of 1 CAE, 5 SAE's, 6 Octs.

This type of algae is my only biggest problem. All other algae is pretty
much controlled but these blooms seem to happen to often. I was wondering
if any one knoew of a way to get rid of these blooms (besides complete
darkness, it always seems to be a real pain on my stem plants). I have

even
gone as far as adding duckweed (Should I have done that..probaly not) to

my
tank to help. If anyone has any clue to why this is happening or any
webstites that talk of this please let me know. I just wanna see my

plants
and fish again. Thank You.