Old 28-03-2011, 06:46 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Calcium supplements for tomatoes

In article
,
beecrofter wrote:

On Mar 21, 3:52*am, "Paul M. Cook" wrote:
Well, planting season is almost here. *I am going to double my tomato crop
this year. *I have ready access to oyster shells and crushed coral. *How
good of a calcium supplement would these make? *I grow in pots, 22 inch
pots - 1 plant per pot. *I'd like to just mix in a large quantity of either
into my planting soil. *I did pretty good last year using a liquid calcium
supplement but it was kind of expensive tedious. *Hoping to do something
cheaper and easier this year.

Paul

Oyster shell could make up a good third of your potting mix and
provide calcium and pore space and drainage.

But for calcium to thwart BER a foliar drench of about a gram of
calcium chloride in a gallon of water or a few tablesppons of wood
ashes on the surface of the soil will work.

Other than that, BER is usually caused by infrequent watering. When the
soil is dry to the depth of an inch, water.

If you like weekends, thank a labor union.

Bush's 3rd term: OBAMA

===
--
---------