Old 30-03-2011, 10:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster Kay Lancaster is offline

Default Starting seeds in agar or gelatin?

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 19:01:22 -0700 (PDT), Gunner wrote:

Kay, what is your grow light setup and your photo tropic period?

Don't have one. Wouldn't go over 16 hrs light because of the problems with
some plants and flowering under 24 hour lights.

also, if you do not mind, I have a 2 part ?

1) I've heard similar anecdotal on "KNO3 breaks dormancy in some
species of grasses, not in peppers". Do you have a reference or a
path to that? Looking to quickly research this.

Should be able to pick that out of any seed technology handbook or textbook.
Try he http://books.google.com/books?id=cS6...q=kno3&f=false which should lead you to some
primary references.

2) Have you, or the others here, any thought/experiences on using
Light, KNO3, and GA3?

For what purpose? Pepper germination? IIRC, 50ppm GA improved seed
germination in fresh Capsicum. Try searching AGRICOLA for more help...
I'm just doing this off the top of my head.

http://agricola.nal.usda.gov/cgi-bin...STARTDB=AGRIDB