Old 31-03-2011, 10:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett K Barrett is offline

Default Are vanilla bean seeds viable?

On Mar 30, 4:49*pm, zxcvbob wrote:
*From grocery store vanilla beans? (for practicing orchid embryo culture)

-Bob

Now that's an interesting question.... I'd assume since the pod is
sorta dried the seeds aren't viable anymore, but hey, you don't know
until you try. Orchids are tough plants. I'd also wonder if teh
manufacturer might treat the pod chemically to prevent fungus or other
rotting and prolong shelf-life. But really I have no idea.

K Barrett